Resilience is the ability to thrive, personally and professionally, even during times of high pressure, rapid change and adversity. Fortunately, resilience is not a fixed characteristic (like personality), it’s something you can learn and strengthen over time. Thrive offers a comprehensive resilience training programme supported by psychometric profiling, one-to-one coaching and skills-based workshops.
Many hundreds of people have benefited from our courses. From social workers and young doctors to financial directors and CEOs.
We’re now in our 8th successful year of resilience training!
What do people say?
“Really motivating and enjoyable course. Best course with the BMJ in 8 years! Lots of further reading to do and things to plan and look forward to.” British Medical Journal (BMJ), London.
Our Resilience Training
Our resilience training programmes are structured around the Seven Elements of Resilience (left) and supported by our own psychometric tool: The Resilience Quotient Inventory (RQi)™.
Based on over 4 years of research, the RQi™ provides a rapid and accurate measure of resilience for individuals and teams.
We also offer skills-based workshops, a team-based resilience programme, one-to-one coaching (with qualified RQi practitioners) and on-line learning. Not only that, we also offer physiological stress monitoring to help people identify the real causes of stress in the workplace. This involves 72 hr heart rate variability and cortisol profiling. We believe this is the most robust and objective support package available anywhere in the world.
Download details of our full resilience programme here (it’s a large file so may take a few moments).
Resilience Training Courses
Our programme also includes five 1-day training courses:
- Building Personal Resilience
- Unleash Your Strengths
- Building Positive Relationships
- Resilience for Managers
- Introduction to Mindfulness
The learning objectives for each of these modules are listed below.
Module 1: Building Personal Resilience
- Explain what resilience means and the benefits it can bring personally and professionally
- Identify your own stress indicators and use relaxation techniques to minimise its impact
- Solve problems creatively, even when under pressure, using the 7-Step Problem Solving Technique (or PRACTICE approach)
- Explain the link between events, thoughts and emotions
- Manage stressful thoughts and emotions with re-framing and positive self-talk
- Describe the beliefs of resilient people, including optimism, self-confidence and feeling in control
- Apply techniques for improving your mood by changing your physiology
Module 2: Unleash your Strengths
- Describe the evidence and principles that underpin a strengths-based approach to personal development
- Use different approaches to identify your core strengths, including the Values in Action (VIA) Survey
- Describe the benefits of applying your strengths for you, your team and your organisation
- Explain how building on strengths can significantly boost performance, self-confidence and resilience
- Recognise your strengths in overdrive and how to work around your weaker areas
- Identify new ways and situations to apply your strengths inside and outside of work
Module 3: Building Positive Relationships
- Apply a range of skills for building positive relationships, including: active listening; rapid rapport building; powerful questioning; ‘tough empathy’ and constructive responding
- Apply techniques for managing conflict
- Know when and how to forgive
- Give constructive feedback
- Explain the concept of personality traits and explore your profile using the ‘Big Five’ personality model
- Adapt your communication style when working with different personalities
Module 4: Resilience for Managers
- Describe what resilience means and the benefits it brings both personally and professionally
- Explain the concept of employee engagement and how engagement links to wellbeing and performance
- Apply the Health and Safety (HSE) Management Standards to own team
- Complete a gap-analysis with the HSE Management Standards
- Use the TGROW model and goal-setting techniques to build greater resilience in teams
Module 5: An Introduction to Mindfulness
- Describe the principles and practice of Mindfulness
- Apply simple meditation techniques to stay in touch with the present moment and get less caught-up in negative thought patterns
- Use meditation and simple mindfulness techniques to boost your resilience to stress
- Develop your own mindfulness practice for feelings of calm and contentedness
“Working with Matthew Critchlow has been both enlightening and inspiring. He has a wonderfully warm engaging style balanced with a depth and breadth of knowledge which translate into techniques that are easily accessible to delegates.”
James Anderson-Dixon, Customer Relationship Manager, Nationwide Building Society
“I found the session on Goal Setting both fascinating and practical … I’ve started to use information from the workshop to focus on my goals in a step by step, measured approach … I would recommend any employee driven organisation to consider having Matthew to present a session.”
Azeem Moosun, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
“Really motivating and enjoyable course (Building Personal Resilience). Best course with the BMJ in 8 years! Lots of further reading to do and things to plan and look forward to.”
British Medical Journal (BMJ)
“Matthew delivered the Goal Setting workshop at a pace that left all attendees understanding how goals work and how they can help us all. He fully engaged with his audience and as an attendee I felt that the content and delivery of the workshop was just right. Matthew was humorous and insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed this workshop and would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain some focus on their goals.”
Movell Dash, Project and Progamme Manager, HM Revenue and Customs